I looked at the calendar earlier and realised its been quite a while since I said I would be back with regular posts, and here is the first one, even if it has been a while.
This foot problem and my M.E. have had me having to make myself have enforced rest periods, with my foot raised and its not always been conducive to anything interesting happening to tell you about, or much of anything happening. Its not as fun around here as it used to be and with the not doing much the only thing I have to show you at the moment is yarn related.
I’ve finished the surprise belated birthday present (no pictures till it arrives at the other end) and had a couple of days of feeling like I didn’t want to work on anything.
Since then, I’ve been having another spate of startitis and now I have more projects on the go than I can possibly work on, but I’m enjoying this slower pace of crafting and having different projects so I can fit it to the energy levels I have and in that vein its fitting into the “pacing” I am learning to deal with the M.E.
I’ve continued working on my half granny square shawl; or my Marbled Purple Comfort Shawl as I’ve taken to calling it; The colours of the Marble Chunky (Shade 15) are making a lovely mix on the shawl and its been getting lovely comments when people see me working on it. I finished it last night and I really like it. Its big soft and very comforting.
I’ve started crocheting my leftovers of Countrystyle DK into a granny square. I think I’ll end up with a lap blanket out of them or a large cushion cover to go with the hexagon blanket, which I desperatly need to work on as I got so distracted by learning to crochet that I haven’t worked on it in weeks. No pictures of my hexagons as theres no progress to show!
Crocheting the granny square projects I have started fits into the days when my energy levels allow me to be able to do something, but something thats more automatic than any project that needs more thought.
I’ve been working on my first ever proper swatch for a stocking project. I’ve got some purple acrylic 4ply:
and am finally going to make my purplestockings! Thats right, I shall have the embelm of my blog :)
I’ve been learning about negative ease and proper gauge, and am finally understanding it properly. I’ve done a flat gauge even though the project is going to be knit in the round as I decided I wanted to see how different my gauge is in the flat compared to in the round. It differs by a stitch and a row so its a good thing I checked!
The flat gauge swatch that show the colour the best.
I used the swatching directions from Knitty for the flat swatch and these from Ysolda for the “swatching in the round although not actually in the round” method. The pattern I was planning to use was going to be Very Tall Socks adjusted for my legs and 4ply yarn instead of DK; but I was pointed towards the Donna Keaton Elizabethan Stocking Formula via Vintage Stitch-O-Rama. I’ve got all my sums done and I hope to be able to cast on for them soon.
I’ve got some yarn wound for a pair of toe up socks, but its thicker than sock yarn I’d normally use, so I’m not sure what needles to use, especially as I’ve had suggestions ranging from 2.25 mm needles to 3.5mm needles. Very confusing.
To use up some yarn leftovers, I’m making some korknisse when I can get hold of wine corks:
and I’ve had some leftovers of autumnal shades of yarn and I’ve got plans to make an autumnal leaf wreath to decorate my home with later in the year.
Theres a whole mix including yarn d’amour gingercake, rowan scottish tweed, online 100, trekking xxl, and misc that I’ve been gifted, and they are going to make up into beautiful leaves. I’m still looking at patterns but I’ll hopefully show you some progress soon :)